We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Samford University is a private, co-educational institution in Birmingham, Alabama. Focusing on Christ-centered values, it empowers students to achieve ethnical and spiritual strength.Samford is the largest independently supported university in the state, and it has been ranked fifth in the "Best Universities--Master's" list, by U.S. News & World Report.Samford was founded as Howard College, in 1841. It became co-educational in 1913, and a member of the Southern Association of Colleges, in 1920.The historic Cumberland School of Law, established in 1847 in Lebanon, Tennessee, formed a part of the institution, beginning in 1951. Later in 1957, the college moved to its present location.Howard achieved university status in 1965, and was renamed Samford University - to honor Frank Park Samford, the institution’s individual benefactor and chairman of the Howard College Board of Trustees.Today, the university includes eight academic units - Howard College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education and Professional Studies, School of Performing Arts, Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing, McWhorter School of Pharmacy, Beeson School of Divinity, and Cumberland School of Law.Samford offers associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and professional doctoral degrees, as well as continuing education, and non-degree programs. In addition, special programs such as cooperative education, honors program, international studies, and ROTC are provided.The university’s suburban campus, with its Georgian Colonial architecture, is dotted with numerous academic and recreational facilities. The campus also includes the Wright Center Concert Hall and a theater.
History Major (B.A.)
A history major prepares students for a broad range of careers in business, law, education, religion, communications, government service (both domestic and foreign), and other professions. It is excellent preparation for graduate study in history and for professional schools such as business administration and law. As a traditional major for students planning legal careers, the department offers students a strong background in western and non-western institutions and values.
The major also provides subject preparation for those seeking a career in education. History majors who wish to obtain certification for secondary teaching must meet additional requirements through the Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education. The student’s degree affiliation remains in Arts and Sciences, and he or she must meet all University Core Curriculum and General Education Distribution Requirements imposed by the bachelor of arts.
College Factual provides higher-education, college and university, degree, program, career, salary, and other helpful information to students, faculty, institutions, and other internet audiences. Presented information and data are subject to change. Inclusion on this website does not imply or represent a direct relationship with the company, school, or brand. Information, though believed correct at time of publication, may not be correct, and no warranty is provided. Contact the schools to verify any information before relying on it. Financial aid may be available for those who qualify. The displayed options may include sponsored or recommended results, not necessarily based on your preferences.
- 1937–1971: NA
- 1972: NCAA College Division
- 1973: NCAA Division III
- 1974–1983: No program
- 1984–1988: NCAA Division III
- 1989–present: NCAA Division I–AA/FCS
Conference memberships Edit
- 1902–1905: Independent
- 1906–1931: Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association
- 1931–1954: Dixie Conference
- 1955–1972: Independent
- 1973: NCAA Division III Independent
- 1974–1983: No program
- 1984–1988: NCAA Division III Independent
- 1989–2002: NCAA Division I–AA Independent
- 2003–2007: Ohio Valley Conference
- 2008–present: Southern Conference
The Bulldogs have appeared in the I-AA/FCS playoffs five times with an overall record of 2–5.
Jonathan J. Den Hartog, Chair, Professor
S. Jonathan Bass, Professor
Timothy D. Hall, Professor
John Mayfield, Professor
C. Delane Tew, Professor
W. Jason Wallace, Professor Richard J. Stockham, Jr. Chair of Western Intellectual History
LeeAnn Reynolds, Associate Professor
Annalise DeVries, Assistant Professor
Brian J. Hamm, Assistant Professor
Anthony H. Minnema, Assistant Professor
Ginger S. Frost, Research Professor
Undergraduate Programs and Requirements
The Department of History offers a major in history, plus a major in history with a concentration in legal studies. The department also offers minors in Asian studies and history.
In cooperation with several academic departments across campus, the history department also offers interdisciplinary concentrations/majors in global and cultural studies, international relations*, and Latin American studies* as well as interdisciplinary minors in global and cultural studies and Latin American studies*.
All majors and interdisciplinary concentrations/majors earn a bachelor of arts (B.A.) degree. The department offers several scholarships and awards to history and global and cultural studies majors. For more information, students should contact the department.
Students who plan to teach at the secondary school level may obtain a B.A. in history, with teacher certification, through the College of Arts and Sciences, or a major in secondary education with a history content area, leading to a bachelor of science in education (B.S.E.) degree, through the School of Education . For more information on either option, contact the Department of Teacher Education .
*See the Department of Political Science section for the international relations curriculum table. See the Department of World Languages for the Latin American studies curriculum tables.
General Education: University Core Curriculum and Distribution Requirements
See General Education Overview in the Howard College of Arts and Sciences introductory pages for a list of required and applicable courses.
History majors, and students in the global and cultural studies or international relations interdisciplinary concentrations/majors, cannot use HIST 200 - Global Perspectives (4) to meet the general education humanities requirement.
A member of the Southern Conference, Samford sponsors teams in eight men's and nine women's NCAA sanctioned sports: 
|Men's Intercollegiate Sports||Team Article||Head Coach||Women's Intercollegiate Sports||Team Article||Head Coach|
|Baseball||Bulldogs baseball||Casey Dunn||Basketball||Bulldogs women's basketball||Mike Morris|
|Basketball||Bulldogs men's basketball||Bucky McMillan||Cross Country||Chad Balyo|
|Cross Country||Chad Balyo||Golf||Rachel Ingram|
|Football||Bulldogs football||Chris Hatcher||Soccer||Todd Yelton|
|Golf||Al Del Greco||Softball||Mandy Burford|
|Tennis||Rahim Esmail||Tennis||David Vest|
|Track & Field (Indoor & Outdoor)||Rod Tiffin||Track & Field (Indoor & Outdoor)||Rod Tiffin|
- Seibert Stadium - Seibert Stadium has been home to Samford's football team since 1958. Over the years, Seibert has seen some memorable football, including the Bobby Bowden era (1959–62), a one-loss season in 1971 and the Terry Bowden era, which ended with a 14-game Bulldog winning streak in the stadium. In Fall 2005, the playing surface, which had always been natural grass, was replaced by a new LSR Blade Synthetic Surface. The artificial turf also includes an extensive drainage system. The stadium is named for F. Page Seibert, a Daytona Beach, Fla., businessman, who donated the money for the completion of the stadium in 1961 with the addition of the stands of the west side. The largest crowd in Seibert Stadium history was in 1994 against Steve McNair and Alcorn State when 11,189 fans showed up. The stadium holds 6,700.
- Sullivan-Cooney Family Field House - The new 39,000-square-foot (3,600 m 2 ) Cooney Family Field House is located in the south end of F. Page Seibert Stadium on the Samford campus. The $7.5 million building was completely funded with private financial support, according to W. Randall Pittman, Samford's vice president for university relations. The new field house includes locker rooms, training rooms, weight rooms, equipment storage, offices and meeting rooms for Samford's football program. A second-level terrace will be used to host special events, especially on football game days. The building replaces facilities in Seibert Gym that date to that building's construction in the late 1950s. A third level on the building will be finished at a later date. That level will be used to house academic and administrative offices during transition periods of other new construction or building renovations on campus. "This new building provides our football program with state-of-the-art facilities at an important time for Samford athletics," Bob Roller, the athletic director at the time of construction, said. "With the university's move to the Southern Conference, it is critical for us to compete at all levels – on the field, in the classroom and facilities – with our new conference counterparts." Visiting teams will continue to use locker rooms and other facilities in Seibert Hall adjacent to the stadium, Roller said. Gary C. Wyatt General Contractor LLC is the Birmingham-based contractor for the building, which was designed by Davis Architects of Birmingham.  During the 2014 season, the facility was renamed in honor of then head coach Pat Sullivan and is now known as the Sullivan-Cooney Family Field House. 
- Seibert Hall - Originally opened in 1959, the lower floor played host to Samford basketball until the main gym was added in 1961. At that time, the basketball teams moved upstairs and have used the facility for the past 41 years. It has been home to Samford volleyball since 1987. It was replaced by Corts Arena in the new Hanna Center (see below) when that facility was completed in Fall 2007. Seibert Hall is also named for F. Page Seibert, a Dayton Beach, Fla., businessman, who donated the money for the completion of the upper floors. It was the largest donation at the time to then-Howard College.
- Pete Hanna Center - A new, state-of-the-art multi-purpose facility has been completed (with the exception of landscaping, and other minor details), as a part of Samford's improvement campaign, The Promise, next door to Seibert Hall and its Bashinsky Fieldhouse. The new building was christened Pete Hanna Center on Friday, October 19, 2007, while the arena itself was designated the Thomas E. and Marla H. Corts Arena. The facility was scheduled for completion by Homecoming weekend 2007 (October 19–21), but was still being worked on up to the last few hours before the first Homecoming event in the center was to take place on October 18. The new facility, one of the largest buildings ever built to strictly conform to Georgian style architecture, holds 5,000 for basketball and volleyball, 6,000 for concerts and commencements, and cost $32 million. Samford, wanting to show that the Hanna Center will truly be a multi-purpose facility, hosted three back-to-back major events on the Hanna Center's opening weekend. On October 18, Samford chose to make the first event the annual J. Roderick Davis Lecture, featuring author Walter Isaacson. On October 19, the center was officially christened and the 141st Annual Homecoming Alumni Gala Dinner was held on the Corts Arena floor. On October 20, the Homecoming concert, featuring Little Big Town, was held in the Corts Arena. The new fitness facility in the Pete Hanna Center for faculty and students opened on Monday November 26, 2007. The center is named after Birmingham businessman Pete Hanna, who played football for Samford when it was Howard College in the 1950s. The arena is named after Samford's president emeritus and his wife. Dr. Thomas Corts retired as Samford's President in May 2006 and died in 2009.
- Joe Lee Griffin Field - Samford's baseball program plays at Joe Lee Griffin Field, a 1,000-seat facility that was constructed in 2000.
- Samford Track and Soccer Complex - Located across Lakeshore Drive from the main campus, the Samford Track and Soccer Complex was opened in the spring of 2011. The facility hosted the 2011 Southern Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships just hours after the official ribbon-cutting ceremony. The complex, which includes a nine-lane track with a regulation soccer field inside the track, is also scheduled to host the 2012 SoCon Women's Soccer Championship.
- Other facilities
- Pat M. Courington Tennis Pavilion
- Bulldog Softball Field
Samford's intercollegiate athletics teams are nicknamed the Bulldogs, and the team is represented by a costumed bulldog, complete with spiked collar and nasty growl, at football and basketball games. Spike, as he is called, has also been known to appear at other competitions where Samford is competing.
Even when it was Howard College, the school's colors were Red and Blue. Today, the red tends to be a bright color and the blue is usually depicted as a darker, navy blue. Both colors are primary (though, as the name of the student fan club, The Red Sea, and the name of the student newspaper, The Crimson, show that many Samford students lean toward red).
Samford, as the newest member of the Southern Conference, has made new rivalries with their newfound conference foes. Their geographically closest conference opponents are Chattanooga and Furman.
Samford also contends against SEC powerhouses and fellow Alabama institutions Alabama and Auburn in some sports—and often fares well. For example, in 2006 the Samford baseball team defeated Auburn in the annual game at the Hoover Met and in 2010 the Samford basketball team defeated Auburn for the third time.  Samford's baseball team also defeated #21 Alabama in 2011. 
Alabama Genealogical Society
The Alabama Genealogical Society, Inc. (AGS) is a nonprofit organization chartered in 1958 to assist and support the research of its members by finding, safeguarding, preserving, and publishing records pertaining to Alabama families and their history. It is the only genealogical society in Alabama that serves all 67 counties.
- To foster, encourage and promote genealogical research, education, information gathering and exchange, and publications about Alabama people
- To contribute to the location and acquisition, preservation, organization and publication of genealogical records and materials about Alabama people
- To bring together genealogists with interests in the 67 counties of Alabama for the express purpose of strengthening genealogy with respect to mutual statewide issues, interests and concerns
- And to contribute to the enjoyment and satisfaction of its members through its activities.
AGS is a volunteer organization. Its activities are carried out by elected and appointed officers and chairpersons and numerous other members who assist on a voluntary basis. AGS has a working arrangement with Samford University Library - Special Collection Department - to receive mail and maintain records of the society. The Special Collection Department houses various genealogical and historical resources, which are available to the general public for research. Samford University is located at 800 Lakeshore Drive in Birmingham, Alabama. AGS does not offer free genealogical research but, as a service to its members, it does maintain a list of member-genealogists willing to do research for a fee.
The society holds at least two meetings per year, each in conjunction with a seminar or workshop. Interaction and co-sponsorship of events with other genealogical and historical societies in Alabama is encouraged.
Alabama Genealogical Society, Inc.
PO Box 293921
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
AGS dedicates this web site to the memory of H. Kent Lewis and all other members who have passed on, leaving behind a great vision, and many dreams and goals for the society. We will be eternally grateful for their contribution.
When Auburn University (as East Alabama Male College) opened in 1859, classes were held in a structure named "Old Main" on the current site of Samford Hall. On June 24, 1887, Old Main was destroyed by fire. The following year, Samford Hall (then simply known as the "Main Building") was constructed, using, in part, bricks salvaged from the ruins of Old Main. The design of Samford Hall roughly mirrored that of Old Main, except that Samford Hall had two main entrances instead of Old Main's one, and on Samford one of the two flanking towers was considerably taller and was constructed to contain a clock.  In 1889, a clockworks and bell were added to the taller tower. 
Through the late 19th century, Samford Hall was the college's main classroom building and contained the library. In May 1929, the building was officially named for William J. Samford.  In 1941, the tower's mechanical clock was converted to run on electricity, and in 1977, a carillon was added. Samford Hall underwent major renovations in 1971, and the original clockworks were replaced in 1995.  Today, Samford Hall houses the school's administration, accounting, planning, and public relations offices. 
Samford Hall's clock tower is the most recognized part of the building. The original clockworks were built by the Seth Thomas Clock Company of Thomaston, Connecticut. These clockworks were replaced in 1995 by a clock and electronic carillon made by the Verdin Company of Cincinnati, Ohio.  A portion of the original clockworks and an original clockface are on display in the reception area of Samford Hall. The Samford Hall carillon plays the Westminster Chimes on the quarter-hour, and plays the Auburn University fight song, "War Eagle", a few seconds after 12:00 noon. 
According to a University legend, students once led a cow up the tower stairs as a prank. 
The Walking History Tour of Samford University Samford University
In celebration of Samford University’s 175th anniversary, join S.T.O.R.I. on an audio guided walking tour of campus. Featuring clips from oral history interviews and recorded speeches, this tour highlights pivotal moments in our history and honors some of the generous individuals that gave of their time and resources to shape the university into what you see before you today.
Listen to Mr. Beeson talk about his father, a profound influence in his life.
Tour Stop 2: East Lake Campus Marker on Centennial Walk
Listen to 1957 alumnus Chris Doss explain the move of Howard College from its original home in Marion, Perry County, to the East Lake campus. Then, hear from 1944 alumnus John C. Pittman recall President Harwell Davis’ vision to move from East Lake to Homewood in Tour Stop 2 Part Two.
Tour Stop 2 Part Two: East Lake Campus Marker on Centennial Walk
Hear from 1944 alumnus John C. Pittman recall President Harwell Davis’ vision to move from East Lake to Homewood.
Tour Stop 3: Harwell Goodwin Davis Library
Listen to Major Davis explain his inspiration and conviction to accept the presidency of Howard College.
Tour Stop 4: Memory Leake Robinson Hall
Listen to Dr. John G. Harvey, a representative from the Education Council of the American Bar Association, address the audience at Robinson Hall’s dedication ceremony.
Listen to 1961 alumna Dr. Myralyn Allgood describe convocation during her years as a student.
Beeson Divinity was established on February 9, 1988. It is named for Ralph Waldo Beeson (1900-1990), who gave one of the largest donations (70 Million USD) in Samford history to create the first divinity school at a Baptist college in the US, and for his father, John Wesley Beeson.  Ralph Beeson wanted the donation to remain anonymous, but relented to the naming of the school after his father at the suggestion of Samford's board of trustees.
The focal point of the divinity school is Andrew Gerow Hodges Chapel, dedicated in 1995 and named in honor of Andrew Gerow Hodges in 2002. Though an original design by Neil Davis of Davis Architects, it was inspired by Il Redentore in Venice designed by Andrea Palladio. The interior features three cycles of iconography designed by Petru Botezatu, a modern Romanian fresco master. In the dome are sixteen prominent figures from Christian history representing a variety of theological traditions. It was inspired by a passage in chapter 12 of Hebrews. In the crossing and aisles are six busts of 20th-century Christian martyrs from each of the six inhabited continents. in the transept apses are ten painting depicting days or seasons of the Christian year, beginning with Advent and ending with Reformation Day.  
Watch the video: Stanford Womens Soccer vs Loyola Marymount University September 12, 2021 (July 2022).